Open Work Permits for Hong Kong Recent Graduates

Following the events that took place on June 30, 2020, of China’s adoption of security law in Hong Kong, Canada committed to open a pathway for Hong Kong nationals to come to Canada on an open work permit with intent of permanent settlement.

Just like any other work permit class under the International Mobility Program, this initiative aims to attract educated Hong Kong youth to Canada, where it is expected that their human capital and international experience will contribute to Canada’s economic, social, and cultural sectors. To be eligible under this program, prospective applicants do not need to obtain a job offer from a Canadian employer.

This public policy took effect on February 8, 2021, and will remain active for 2 years (until February 7, 2023) and will allow open work permits to be issued to eligible nationals of Hong Kong, whether they are in Canada or abroad, for a period of up to three years. Eligible family members such as spouses or common-law partners will be issued open work permits and dependent children will be issued study permits or visitor records.

Program Eligibility Requirements:

Besides meeting the general admissibility factors such as medical, criminal, financial, and representation of accurate facts and background information, prospective applicants must have graduated from a post-secondary institution within 5 years preceding this application. The degree must be at least 2 years in length and if obtained outside of Canada, be supplemented with a valid education credential assessment.

While there is no definite financial requirement under this program, we recommend that prospective applicants show minimum funds required per family size as mentioned in requirements for skilled immigrants under Express Entry program. You can find the relevant information in this link.

Educational Credential Assessment

An educational credential assessment (ECA) is used to verify that the applicant’s foreign degree, diploma, or certificate is valid and equal to a Canadian standard. A valid ECA certificate must be obtained in order to create an Express Entry profile and gain points for education received outside of Canada. The assessment must be completed by approved organizations such as:

For details regarding processing, fees and required documents, applicants must contact the organization directly.

If you are a national of Hong Kong and are interested in this program and require assistance from a Canadian Immigration lawyer, contact us without any further delay. At UL Lawyers, for all immigration matters, we offer free consultation for the first 15 minutes and in the event our law firm is retained, we will credit the consultation fee towards your legal fees. For more information, you can contact us via telephone or WhatsApp at 1-905-744-8888 or email us at We look forward to assisting you with your immigration matter.